Posted by Barrie on Sunday, 21 February 2010

Nearly a Perfect Premier League Weekend

Firstly, I wasn't overly surprised by Everton's victory over Manchester United on Saturday. They didn't wake up for the early away game kickoff against an in-form side at Goodison Park. Their chances of winning the title are very slim now; 4 points behind Chelsea who have the better run in.

Chelsea extended their lead over Manchester United with a 2-0 victory at Wolves. While I wasn't surprised by this, I wasn't brave enough to back a Chelsea side who have struggled on the road recently. Didier Drogba's brace has given them a comfortable lead at the top of the table.

My first tip on Saturday was Arsenal beating Sunderland and they did so, 2-0, cutting the gap behind Manchester United to 2 points. My other 3pm kickoff tip was West Ham to beat Hull City and they backed up their 5/6 odds with a 3-0 victory over a side who finished the game with 9 men. With the bottom 7 losing this weekend, West Ham are now 4 points above the relegation zone. Hull are just 1 point outside of the bottom 3.

In Saturday's evening game I wasn't brave enough to back Stoke to win, so I took a double chance of them to win or draw at Portsmouth. Despite trailing at half time, goals from Robert Huth and Salif Diao won my bet and earned 3 points for Stoke.



Today, Aston Villa gained 2 points on both Manchester City and Liverpool after beating Burnley 5-2 at home. This is what I regarded as the safest bet of the day ahead of the match and I was certainly a bit concerned by the slow start Aston Villa made to the match. They were 11/10 when 1-0 down and I didn't back them, partly because I had already invested heavily into them and partly because I was concerned they may had had next week's Carling Cup final on their mind. Fortunately they equalised before half time and then 4 goals in 13 minutes in the second half won my handicap bet.



Good job I chose not to watch the Manchester City-Liverpool game after reports it was a dull affair. This didn't surprise me with both sides playing not to lose when I thought Manchester City should have been going for the win here. Fernando Torres made his return to the Liverpool side though as a second half substitute. Maybe I should be kicking myself for not backing the draw here, but it's been such a good weekend of gambling I don't need to worry about that.

My final picks on this week's Premier League Betting Tips was on the Tottenham v Wigan game. It wasn't a convincing performance from Spurs on a terrible pitch at the DW Stadium, but Jermain Defoe scored for the first bet, Tottenham won for my highest bet and with a bit of fortune at the end I also won handsomely on a handicap bet. My only lost bet on the weekend was backing Defoe to score a hattrick, but it's nothing worth crying about!



Make sure you come back next Thursday for some more reliable Premier League Tips. I hope you too had a successful weekend and if not let's make it a successful weekend to finish of February.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home